Grosse Pointe Park
"Pointe of Distinction"
Grosse Pointe Park is a residential community bordering Detroit and Lake Saint Clair. It is the westernmost of the noted Grosse Pointe suburbs, with the oldest overall housing stock of the five cities. Grosse Pointe Park is 6 miles east of downtown Detroit and thus is home to many who commute to the city on a daily basis. The area is often referred to simply as 'GPP' or "The Park".
The Grosse Pointe Park Market is a popular place to shop, and a place for families to interact, take advantage of a number of activities the market has to offer, including easy listening music, children's crafts, and food sampling to name a few. Special events take place weekly.
The neighborhoods in Grosse Pointe Park are built on a standard grid street pattern which flows out of Detroit, and housing ranges from single- and multi-family brick houses, to multimillion-dollar mansions, some of which are found on the lakeshore. The west side of the city features mixed-use neighborhoods, where retail, schools, and churches are within close walking distance. Many of the houses in the Park were built prior to World War II, and many of these were designed by noted architects using the finest materials. Windmill Pointe Drive, and streets such as Bishop, Kensington, Yorkshire, Edgemont Park, Three Mile Drive, Devonshire, Buckingham, Berkshire, Balfour, Middlesex, and Nottingham among others, each have dozens of large, architecturally significant homes.
Grosse Pointe Park includes a large lakefront park with a pool, gym, movie theatre, and gathering spaces for residents. Another large park, Patterson Park, is known for its skating rink and walking trails.
History & Demographics
Before incorporation as a city, the area that would become the city of Grosse Pointe Park was incorporated as the Village of Fairview, which spanned Bewick Street in the west to Cadieux Road in the east in Grosse Pointe Township. The city of Detroit annexed part of the village in the township from Bewick Street to Alter Road in 1907. Fearing further annexation, the part of the village east of Alter Road incorporated as the Village of Grosse Pointe Park later that year. Seeking further annexation protection from Detroit and independence from its township, the village reincorporated as a city in 1950.
As of the census of 2010, there were 11,555 people, 4,516 households, and 3,182 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,324.9 inhabitants per square mile. There were 4,997 housing units at an average density of 2,302.8 per square mile. The racial makeup of the city was 85.0% White, 10.5% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.8% Asian, 0.5% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.