Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Farms is a beautiful, upscale, suburban community on the shores of Lake St. Clair in southeastern Michigan. Since its establishment in 1892, Grosse Pointe Farms has become one of the premier neighborhoods in the country. The Farms is recognized for excellence in its schools, the quality of its housing stock, the safety and welfare of its citizens and its commitment to the special enhancements that make a city a community. Along Lake St. Clair, several recreation facilities include Pier Park and Pier Park Harbor. Popular destinations include Kerby Field and the Grosse Pointe War Memorial.
The Farms also contains the "point" in Grosse Pointe, where, just east of the Grosse Pointe War Memorial, there is a large bend in the lakeshore, such that those on the shoreline face east, instead of south, as they do when on the shoreline of neighboring Grosse Pointe, closer to the entrance of the Detroit River.
The cityscape varies widely, with large sections of old homes ranging from bungalows to mansions, and a few newer sections with ranch houses or luxury homes built on subdivided estates. The Farms has a downtown on Kercheval Avenue combining historic buildings with newer, neo-traditional storefronts.
History & Demographics
In 1879, the community of Grosse Pointe was established as a village of Grosse Pointe Township. Ten years later, in 1889, the village expanded, extending its southwestern boundary to Cadieux Road. Following an attempt by shoreline residents to establish a separate community, the Michigan legislature divided the Village of Grosse Pointe into two separate entities: Grosse Pointe and Grosse Pointe Farms. The latter, created on May 20, 1893, comprised the exact area that originally had been incorporated as the Village of Grosse Pointe. The name "Grosse Pointe Farms" is reminiscent of the ribbon farms that once lined its shore.
In the years following World War II, Grosse Pointe Farms underwent another period of growth that enabled it to incorporate as the City of Grosse Pointe Farms in 1949.
As of the census of 2010, there were 9,479 people, 3,718 households, and 2,770 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,446.9 inhabitants per square mile. There were 3,952 housing units at an average density of 1,437.1 per square mile. The racial makeup of the city was 95.4% White, 1.8% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.3% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.0% of the population.